One of the best ways I’ve found for infusing inquiry into my approach to teaching mathematics is to introduce new topics and concepts with a challenge. Recently, we explored Division by asking volunteers to share on the whiteboard techniques for visually modelling the division expression 21÷3.
Taking the time to do this has many benefits, including:
- providing an opportunity to build confidence through peer to peer teaching
- introducing, highlighting, and discussing a variety of accessible strategies
- developing mental models which can be referred to as learning continues
- initially assess general understanding of the concept in a zero pressure setting
- review learning that may need to be refreshed before engaging more deeply.